Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lions, Tigers, & Bears...Oh, My!

Another August happening was Reid's first trip to the zoo!  Our first cool front rolled in and Saturday, August 17 was a gorgeous day.  Jason was gone--I didn't want him to miss Reid's first zoo visit, nor did I have the energy to attempt it myself.  Being pregnant and chasing a preschooler has its limits!  I did realize, though, that this would probably be our last chance at taking him, because I'm only getting bigger and my legs hurt from the moment I get up until the moment I'm back in bed, even with my stylin' compression stockings.  The weather was cooler than normal with the front, and our guest speaker that week at church wasn't our favorite, so we played hooky (which is very rare!!) and packed up for the zoo.  Unbeknownst to us, it was the Dallas Zoo's birthday (125th, I think?), so we each got in for $5 versus the normal admission fee, which is a whole lot more!  We also got a ticket for a free train ride or carousel ride.  The carousel is right next to the entrance and Reid RAN right over to it.  Happy boy!




After we'd walked for a little while (and after it warmed up quite a bit...our "cool front" only really lasted a day, so we were still hot, especially me with my stockings) it was time to give our legs a rest and see the "Wilds of Africa" via tram.  Reid was more enamored with the actual tram and big ramp you walk up to get there rather than the animals themselves.


I really thought he'd be into the animals, but he had more fun running along the paths and dodging people.  I wasn't even sure if he noticed the animals half of the time.  We stopped and I made him point to the giraffes so I knew he actually saw something.


More fun than animals?  This little jeep next to the cheetahs.  He waited to drive it, made some new friends, and probably could've stayed there all day if we let him.


We popped into the Savannah Cafe for a little a/c and as an added bonus, the lions were napping in the shade just outside the cafe.  He called one of them Samson, and I can definitely see the resemblance between the big cats and our former house cat.


Outside the Africa exhibit...couldn't resist snapping a pic.  Really?!


Reid enjoyed the rest of the zoo (mainly riding the kiddie train with Daddy while Mommy got a snowcone to cool down), but with no nap, he got too wild and overtired.  We called it a day and dragged ourselves back to the car.  Before we even got back on the freeway, he was out. 


It was a tiring day and we all had to rest on the couch when we got home.  But it was fun!  Days like this remind me that next Spring, our lives will all be changing with the addition of a little one.  It's a bit daunting to think of starting all over...breastfeeding, diapers, more nap times to work around.  We are just at the point where we can go on a day trip w/o half of the house.  And Reid will be in for the shock of his life when our world no longer revolves around him!  But I can't wait to see what a good big brother he will be.  I hope these two guys will be very close and someday be best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment