On Friday, it was Field Day. Always fun for the kids, but a beating for the teachers b/c it's just hard to keep up with all the kids, make sure everyone has pottied, is hydrated, etc. Our Specials teachers do a great job and we have wonderful parents who volunteer to run all the stations...but this year it had gotten postponed due to weather...and this particular day was probably the worst as far as weather, humidity, and those awful little flesh-colored biting bugs. Thank goodness I decided to wear a tank top rather than my Bennett shirt or I think I would've passed out within the first ten minutes. I was quite worried about being in the sun for more than three hours, so I was a shade hog whenever I could be, and by the end of the school day I'd had three huge jugs of ice water, four icy pops, two flavored waters, and a regular bottle of water. Let's just say that my bladder was like, "Seriously...what're you doing to me???" We had no break the entire day since there were no Specials classes, lunch was in our classroom, and we were all on recess duty. Jason's grandparents were in town, so we'd made dinner plans with them. After school was over, I was racing around the room trying to get everything I could in order "just in case" and leaving things in obvious places. I didn't want Jason and his grandparents to have to wait long at the house, so I got home and just changed. (could definitely have used a shower, but we were just going to dinner and they convinced me I was fine) They had their heart set on the Londoner, a little pub that just opened off of the Tollway, so that's where we headed. Once we got there, I began to feel not so great. I had what I can only describe as menstrual-like pains (on steroids!!) that didn't go away. Nothing sounded at all appetizing, so I opted for a light salad (think I only ate about 10 little bites of it) and lemon water. I began feeling worse and worse, and there was a definite tightening of the abdominal area, so naturally I assumed it must be the beginning of labor, which figured since I was filthy, had an exhausting day, and it was the beginning of the weekend...plus I'd been two cm dilated at my appointment on Tuesday. It got so bad that I began timing the contractions and couldn't even make small talk nor follow the conversation. Marilyn finally said, "I think maybe you should take her home." I felt absolutely awful for cutting dinner short, but at the same time felt so horrible that that's really all I wanted to do--shower and go to the hospital. So we headed to the car and then were homeward bound, with me gripping the seatbelt and Jason speeding in between hitting every.single.stoplight. EVERY one. All the bumps and potholes in the road were excruciating. I also found out this was the date Jason had "picked" that I'd go into labor (but he wouldn't tell me until then) and he'd heard so many things with "baby" in them that day...movie titles, songs, etc. Once home, I crawled upstairs and into the shower, which felt heavenly, and somehow managed to shave (probably the crappiest job ever, but I did NOT want to stare at hairy legs nor be filthy for 12 hours of labor!). Then, once I was out of the shower, the contractions and pain didn't slow down, they just STOPPED. Period. No more. I was shocked and sure they'd come back soon, so got a bottle of water and laid down on the couch to promptly fall asleep. They never did come back. Here's basically what I looked like that day (but with longer, school-appropriate shorts and a white tank top):

On Saturday, I figured I was probably dumb for not calling the dr. the night before (but I don't want to be THAT person who panics at every little thing!) and Jason and my mom convinced me I should call the answering service. I expected my dr. to say, "Yes, that can be normal--you're fine." but he actually told me to go in to the hospital to get checked. So we had a nice little field trip to Baylor Medical Center Frisco for a few hours. It was actually not bad--kind of a neat practice for the real thing. We had a fabulous nurse who made us feel right at home (and reassured me that if we were "those" people, we'd have come in at 18 wks, 22 wks, 25 wks, etc), and if you look at the bright side of things, I now know exactly what to expect when we go in for the "real thing." Just hoping the real thing is soon b/c I am a total cow. Check it out!! (normally, I don't post the bare belly shots, and pardon my lovely outfit and funky belly button--you can blame the last surgery for that one--but I'm excited that I seem to have dropped some more overnight...I kind of have a little bit of "waist" in between the boobs and belly, now!)

So this weekend, we've taken it easy and relaxed...but also in hopes that things would get moving... I don't sit well, stand well, eat well, or sleep well, but I'm still so grateful for this wonderful little being God has allowed me to carry. I just keep seeing/reading/thinking about the Psalm that says, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." So true! In the meantime, we have tried Mexican food, lots of walks, spicy things, and well, you know. Need I say more?
And lastly, I did promise to post a pic of my lovely compression stockings, Stacey-rigged so I can wear flip flops...quite the fashion statement, but much cooler than socks and Sketchers! Gets me lots of looks, I tell ya ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment