Saturday, March 27, 2010

The trickster in utero

I know you're supposed to have a supressed immune system when you're pregnant, but this is getting pretty ridiculous. I have now been sick for nearly a month...we're talking full-fledged alternatingly stuffy/runny nose, ringing ears, trouble breathing, and now I've developed a nasty cough. I just finished (another) round of antibiotics on Thursday and am hoping/praying I can fully recover and somehow stay well, despite this being "the worst allergy season in over a decade." My cough does seem a little better today, but my throat is horribly sore...like someone's shoving golf balls in either side, and my ears are killing me as well. But it could always be worse ;) I'm just so thankful for the good reason I can't take most of the medicine I normally would!!!

We had been looking forward to our 28 week sonogram (it had been 8 weeks since we'd had one this time) and I was dying to see our little guy moving around on the screen. It didn't exactly go as planned...the sono lady kept going back to something (I had trouble identifying anything on the screen this time) and wasn't saying much--a bad sign. Turns out little Reid had this monster bulge on his belly (not sure what view this is from, but the belly is the big round thing on the left, and the bulge is the big thing at the top right):
For reasons that can only be attributed to immediate prayer and a supernatural calming, I didn't panic. (And Jason always takes things in stride...I should learn from him!) Amazingly, I didn't panic or cry--but was very thankful when my dr's office scheduled us to see the perinatologist at 4:45 later that day. (And great timing--Jason had a busy day at the office, and I'd already had to take a half day off due to the dr appt/sono since the sono lady only works 9-2) The way it was explained, it sounded like something similar to a hernia, which would require surgery after delivery. Or possibly a tumor...either way, it broke my heart to even think about that on our little baby. Thankfully, everything was fine and the 'belly bulge' had disappeared. The perinatologist said since babies are so "squished" in the womb, they sometimes have a leg pressed up against their belly, which can form the bulge. So no happy sono pictures this time, but we did get the first DVD of our little guy, the trickster :) And it sure is good to know that so many people will pray for you in such a short amount of time!! Thank you for the prayers!

This morning, Jason's boss, Mike, treated us to some delicious dim sum at a little place next to our Asian grocery we go to sometimes. It was so much fun to pick your little baskets of goodies off of the carts as they roll by. Couldn't tell you what the name of anything was, but it was delicious! We went to the grocery afterward to stock up on Hello Panda cookies (Laura got me hooked while we were in Singapore the first time), sesame cake/cracker thingees, mango puree, etc. And of course, I had to wander down the shopping center to Bali Smoothie for a mango smoothie "with bubble" (these little chewy glutinous rice balls). Mmm...

Belly shot from today (yes, I strayed from the usual tank top and stretchy pants--it's just too much trouble to change these days...)

No comments:

Post a Comment