Friday, September 26, 2014

September...School, 7 Months, & Sickness

I'm embarrassed to admit that it's taken me this long to realize that the video uploading problem was our crummy old laptop.  I bit the bullet and got out the "new" laptop (that's about a year old, but we hate the user interface and it's just not as user friendly, nor does it have all our bookmarks the old one does)...sure enough, I can upload videos again!!  Of course, most of the adorable ones are over two minutes, so the files are too large to upload.  BUT I'll keep working on it...  I had the most hilarious one of Carter's first solids and all the classic, precious faces he was making, but we'll have to settle for a cute one of his first time in the bouncer. 



And very exciting...  Reid's been dying for his school to start.  He was a bit disappointed when I got to go to Parent Night (but he did not-and Jason stayed home with the kids since this was an evening deal).  I took some pictures of the Frog classroom to show him (although this is also typically the classroom Kids' Club, the afterschool program, meets in...so it's not like he hasn't seen it before).  He got a big grin when I showed him the frog with his name on it and how he can see Mommy's school from the Frog classroom's window.



 
Unfortunately, being a teacher myself, there will always be things Reid misses out on.  It was my second week of school with students, so I had to pick which day I was going to take a 1/2 day off for... Meet the Teacher, or his first day.  I opted to be there for his first day (especially since meet the teacher was just a come and go event).  My little cutie, ready for Pre-K!!


He was more excited than anything.  The pictures bugged him and he just wanted to go!  Once we got there, a little bit of uncertainty set in.  Thankfully, his little buddy Ellison (from the Monkey class last year) is also in the Frog class, so I think that has helped.


After a bit of urging him to quit clinging to Mommy and be a big boy, he found his frog.


He was a little bit shy, but thankfully no tears (or Mommy might've lost it!).  Once he found toys he liked, he was good to go! 


They don't have the carpool lane running the first week of school, so Jason took him on Thursday.  I made sure he got a picture with his new teachers since I'd forgotten on Wednesday.  Since then, he is able to be dropped off in the carpool lane (the ONLY way we're able to have him go since Holli has so many babies this year...I'd never ask her to get out of the car with all of them!) like a big boy.  I smile when I think of him walking to his class, unpacking his backpack, etc.  I sure hope he's actually doing all that!!  In the four year old classes, we don't get any daily communication unless there was a problem...


Reid grows by the day, I swear!  He is constantly picking up new things, some of which I have no idea where he got it.  And his imagination cracks us up.  Here's the "tent" he made for his stuffed animal friends during quiet time one Saturday:


And after playing with the toy "dump" at Ben and Alex's house, he's been obsessed!  He had to make one of his own (which we will never do again!!  It took DAYS to clean it up!) and all the vehicles that looked like something that could work in a dump came to 'help.'


He's also so good about entertaining Carter for a few minutes here and there when I'm gathering lunchboxes in the mornings or unpacking the car in the afternoons.  He automatically goes over (without being asked) when Carter cries and tries to make him laugh.  And of course, who better to make you laugh than your big bro?  Way funnier than Mom or Dad!!


The dynamic duo in adorable shirts Taunt had her mom make for them...  We've had them since Carter was born, but I always forgot to take a picture and was afraid we'd end up with Reid's stained since he loves it! 


Carter is officially seven months as of Wednesday.  As usual, I need to take a picture in between feedings, school, spit ups, you get the idea.  More pics to come!  But we had a little hiccup this week... an unexpected surgery for me!!  I went to bed on Sunday night at the normal time and felt fine--I'd had a great workout at the gym that afternoon and everything.  But I awoke 45 minutes or an hour later feeling bad.  Bad went to worse and I just writhed around in what I thought was stomach pain, thinking, "Here's my first stomach virus of the year...wonder if it'll be over with soon or if I need to call in a sub for tomorrow."  It got so bad that I took a painkiller and went downstairs in hopes that at least Jason would have a chance to sleep.  I'd writhe around on the couch for awhile, then run into the bathroom thinking I needed to vomit (or have thunder down under), but nothing.  I finally did get sick one time but really didn't feel any better.  It got to about 3am and I'd had enough.  I arranged for a sub at school, went upstairs to tell Jason I felt awful and was going to the ER (so he was in charge of the kids), and drove myself.  Once I arrived, they took my vitals, admitted me, gave me a painkiller, and did a quick abdominal check.  My pain was mainly in the upper left side of my abdomen (and shooting through to the back) but when the doc pressed around, my lower abdomen on the right is what really hurt.  He ordered a CT with contrast, so I had to drink two cups of lovely contrast, wait 1 1/2 hours for it to circulate through my system, then the CT lady came in.  In the meantime, I was worried about not having sub plans, Jason having to hang out at home not knowing when I'd be done, etc.  So I didn't sleep/rest a wink.  After the CT, the doctor came in and announced that I had appendicitis and I'd be having surgery that morning.  Um, what????  So long story short, Jason dropped the kids off at Holli's, came to pick me up (it was finally determined that since the surgical hospital was about .25 miles away, he could transport me rather than the ambulance), I was admitted to Methodist McKinney, and in surgery by about 9am.  Quick, successful surgery.  I am just so thankful that Jason was in town (he was out of town last Wednesday through late Friday), that the kids were already scheduled to go to Holli's, that my team at school could throw together plans for a sub, and for that ER place to be close and open.  God was certainly watching out for me!!  I spent a night in the hospital, but everything else has kind of been "whenever you feel like it"...picking up 17 lb. Carter, driving, going back to work.  I'd really prefer more of a black and white answer on stuff like that, but I know everyone's body is different.  Recovery has been slow and I am absolutely exhausted.  But I am sooooo thankful for the well-wishes, do-gooders, and kind thoughts we've been sent.  We've even had several folks send us a meal, which has been fabulous!  And my school sent the most beautiful flowers yesterday--such a sweet surprise.  It's nice to know you're loved and missed! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment