Saturday, March 8, 2014

Happy Birthday to Carter!!!

Carter's birth day arrived bright and early.  Jason and I got up around 4:45 and I was set to check in at the hospital at 5:30am.  They checked my vitals and attempted to put in my IV (on my left arm, they rolled and burst two veins...still have the ugly bruise to prove it) and finally put one in my right arm.  Fortunately, that was not indicative of how the day would go.  My doctor arrived at about 6:30 and checked in with us.  The waiting was probably the hardest part because I really started getting nervous when they wheeled me back!  I just kept praying...


Then, it was go time!  Eek!!  It was a different experience, going in knowing you'd have a c-section this time.  I actually walked to the O.R., hopped up onto the table, and then they gave me my epidural.  That probably freaked me out more than anything because I was worried it wouldn't kick in quickly enough.  Of course, the doctors and nurses all do this every day...so of course they know what they're doing!  Everyone was very nice and knowledgeable.  I loved the anesthesiologist practitioner (I think that was his title?) because he kept making sure I was indeed warm enough.  Last time, I shook violently the entire time (which worried me...would it affect the cutting, stitching, etc?) and they kept laying hot towels on me.  This time, they had a great little heater they put under the blanket that covered my upper body, so I was nice and toasty warm the whole time.  I think he was a little surprised that I never got too hot :) 


7:56am.  The first glimpse of Baby Carter! 


 I couldn't see anything but a curtain, but I could sure hear when he came out!  Boy...does this baby boy have a great set of lungs!  He had an initial gurgly cry, then "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"


His vitals all checked out nicely.


Big boy!  8 lbs., 3.7oz. and 19" long.  No wonder my ribs hurt that last month!!


First diaper.  Daddy lucked out and didn't have to put it on this time :)  


They did a few more things, put Carter's footprints on Daddy's scrub shirt, and Carter cried, cried, and cried some more.  Look at that pouty lip!


I swear he came out hungry.  Check out that tongue!  This kid has been an absolute chow hound from day one.  

Mommy's first glimpse!  Jason had been snapping pictures and keeping me posted up until this point, so I breathed a sigh of relief to find that he had all ten fingers and toes.  I got to kiss my newest little guy and was one happy Mommy.





3/4 of our family of four





I began the uncontrollable shaking the moment they turned off my heater, which made me giggle a bit.  I was scared I'd drop Carter because I was shaking so hard, so was quite relieved when they had Jason wheel Carter in the bassinet behind me.  Once in recovery, they attempted to bring my body temp back up with hot towels, but as soon as they handed me Carter, I quit.  The nurse said that usually calms down baby and Mommy. 

 After a couple of hours in recovery, we were wheeled down the hall to my room.  Happy Mommy, happy Daddy, happy baby! 


We are so excited for our 2/24/14 baby.  (Pretty cool date, huh?)  We thank the Lord that everything went smoothly and Carter is a healthy baby boy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment