Sunday, August 18, 2013

More July and August Fun

Jason and I have trouble sleeping in general, so we decided our 9 year old mattress probably wasn't helping.  We started our morning off at the donut shop.  It has a little train around the top, which Reid loved, tons of pictures on the wall (many of my former students), and most importantly, DONUTS!!!  Before we could snap a picture, he'd already inhaled the donut hole that had chocolate and sprinkles on it.  Reid couldn't get enough of these sweet treats and knows exactly where this store is, pointing it out each and every time we drive by.  Pretty sure it was a hit!


In retrospect, feeding your three year old donuts before shopping probably wasn't the best idea.  I realized that on the way to the store.  But, Reid was great!  He tried out some of the beds with us.


And then found a beetle crawling around that literally kept him entertained for an hour.  I am so not kidding!  Jason and I had plenty of time to research TempurPedic-v-traditional and talk with the salesman.  Reid had a blast with his beetle buddy, which finally crawled under this bed.


We took him to a newly renovated splash pad on another day.  We love this little place, and they revamped the entire playground next to it...it's so neat!  It was way too hot for the playground (although someone begged us and begged us to go) but the splash pad was nice and cool.  And we adults were excited that they'd added shade pavilions!



I realized I had about one more spare week of summer, so in between staff development (no, I do NOT get paid; yes, I DO have to pay for a sitter!!!) Reid and I headed down to Houston.  The Frenches were in the midst of moving, so I didn't want to invade.  We visited the cousins and Aunt Lala down in Katy for a couple of days.  You can't tell from the pics, but Reid was soooo whiny and pitiful.  Finally took him to the doctor out of desperation and it turns out he had his first ear infection!  Never complained about anything hurting or not feeling well, so I was taking a shot in the dark based on his general whinyness and cough at night.  The traditional bathtub shot won't be possible much longer because all the kids are growing so fast!  There was barely room for all three of them in there...

Reid adored his "cousin time" and followed both Ben and Alex everywhere.  Here's a cousin congo line:


But I think the thing he enjoyed most this time was playing with the boys' parakeets.  Ben introduced Reid to Blue, and he soon met Mario (who's a little bit more shy), too.


It was love at first sight.  Reid was totally entranced with the birds and kept asking to see them.


The boys had a birthday party to attend and Reid needed a nap that day, so we busied ourselves with the birds and some other fun things in Alex's room.


Laura knows me well, so she factored in some Lupe Tortilla.  Mmmm!!!  Reid was a happy camper, too, because the Katy location still has a kiddie area, complete with a huge sandbox and toys.  The only problem was that he had zero interest in eating.


Aunt Lala gave me a candy necklace, Reid's first one, to put in his treasure box.  He didn't really get it at first...kind of licked the candy until I explained you could eat the candies.  It was quite a mess, but fun to watch him enjoy it.


We saw Grammy and Grumpy, too.  Reid and Grammy played with the dot makers...


And Grammy, Reid, and I went to The Woodlands Children's Museum one afternoon.  I just wish we'd gone earlier because someone threw a fit when it was closing time.  But we had lots of fun before that.


It was a fun, fast trip!  Just wish my little guy would've felt better, but I'm thankful for e-clinics.  Seems like he always gets sick at the very worst times...like Thursday, my first "official" day back at work.  I got a text that he was beginning to run fever.  So left early, took him to see Dr. G...prognosis was bronchitis.  Ugh.  So our last weekend of summer has had no running, no swimming, the stress of missing work (already!), and antibiotics/first inhaler.  Hopefully, this kid is done being sick for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment